Some clinics usually run from Rotorua Hospital are now able to offer a telephone or video option for selected appointments.
What is Telehealth?
Patients now have the option to 'see' their clinician (doctor, nurse or other healthcare professional) by video or telephone appointments where appropriate.
Some people choose telehealth appointments over in person appointments to:
- save time and money by not having to travel to an appointment or take time off work
- have their care closer to home when they feeling unwell or when getting to hospital is difficult
- reduce the risk of catching or spreading germs
Some people choose a video appointment over telephone appointment:
- kanohi ki te kanohi – you can see your clinician and the clinician can see you
- your whānau (support person) can join the video appointment from wherever they are as long as they have the meeting details, internet access, and a digital device
- your translator can join the video appointment
- the clinician can share his or her computer screen which may help with communication and understanding of the information shared during the consultation, including use of pictures and diagrams
- other clinicians or staff supporting your care can join the video appointment
- your clinician may use the chat function in the video appointment to type out words
Some people choose a telephone appointment over a video appointment:
- not interested in the functions of a video appointment and a telephone appointment will suit
- no access to a digital device, internet, or the confidence to navigate a video appointment. If this is case and you would want support to access your video appointment in your home or local community please email Pokapuotetaiwhenua@lakesdhb.govt.nz or phone 027 348 7749.
Attending an appointment via telephone
Attending an appointment via video
There are some common technical issues that may be experienced during a video call.
Pokapū o te Taiwhenua Network
Helping you connect with telehealth
Frequently Asked Questions
Your questions on telehealth answered