Termination of Pregnancy
When pregnancy is ended by medical or surgical means, it is called an abortion or termination of pregnancy.
Rotorua Hospital provides surgical abortion up to 14 weeks of pregnancy and medical abortion up to nine weeks at Te Aka Tauawhi Tangata - Women's Clinic (Tauawhi).
The First Step
To be seen or referred to the abortion service at Te Aka Tauawhi Tangata - Women's Clinic, Rotorua Hospital you can do one of the following:
- Call the nurses at Tauawhi (0800 726 447) and the nurse will provide you with information and can arrange your appointments.
- See your GP or nurse and ask for a referral
- Be seen at Rotovegas Youth Health Rotorua (free for 15-24 year olds) by phoning (07) 343 1013
- Be seen at Anamata Taupō 07 376 0098
- See your school nurse
- See the nurses at Toi-Ohomai health clinic
The doctors and nurses will talk to you and organise some essential blood and swab tests.
They will also help you make a decision whether to have a medical or surgical abortion.
Staff at Tauawhi will be able to discuss and provide you with contraception at the time of your abortion. There are many different types of contraception currently available in New Zealand.
Counselling is offered to all women and the nurses will arrange for counselling services. Post abortion counselling appointments are also available.
After abortion follow up will be provided by the person who referred you.
Te Aka Tauawhi Tangata - Women's Clinic
Cnr Arawa and Ranolf Street
Private Bag 3023
- 0800 726 447
- 027 615 3547
- 07 349 7918
Fax: (07) 349 7945
Open hours: Monday to Friday 8am to 4.30pm
Useful websites for further information