Why do sore throats matter?
A sore throat can cause rheumatic fever. Rheumatic fever is a serious and preventable illness that can cause permanent heart damage.
Every time your child has a sore throat take them to your nurse or doctor straight away.
What is a sore throat clinic?
A sore throat clinic makes it easier for at-risk children and young people to get their sore throats checked and treated.
At a sore throat clinic you can get your sore throat checked on the same day and received FREE antibiotics if you need them.
Who is this for?
- Maori and Pacific children and young people aged 4 - 19 years
- 4- 19 year olds living in areas with the highest measure of neighborhood deprivation NZ Deprivation Index Quintile5
- 3 - 35 year old household contacts (with a sore throat) of someone who has been treated for a strep throat infection.
Sore Throat Clinics
Western Heights Health Centre, 1 Brookland Rd
Phone 07 347 0565
Rotovegas Youth Health, Location 6, Te Ngae Rd
Phone 07 343 1013
Anamata Cafe, 129 Spa Rd
Phone 07 376 0098
Pihanga Health, 28 Rangitautahanga Rd
Phone 07 384 7576
Current Rapid Response Services
- All secondary school health services across Lakes District Health Board
- Youth One Stop Shops in Taupō and Rotorua
- Primary Care (free under 18 year olds in Rotorua and Tūrangi)
- Rapids Response school clinics in Western Heights, Rotorua and surrounding schools
- Western Heights Community after hours clinics and home visiting (Rotorua)
- Rotorua and Taupō Emergency Department
- Lakes Prime Care, Rotorua
All under 13s are free but only some provide free 0 - 18 year olds free
For other information about where to get your child's sore throat checked for free:
Phone: Healthline 0800 611 116 or click here.