Why do sore throats matter?
A sore throat can cause rheumatic fever. Rheumatic fever is a serious and preventable illness that can cause permanent heart damage.
Every time your child has a sore throat take them to your nurse or doctor straight away.
What is a sore throat clinic?
A sore throat clinic makes it easier for at-risk children and young people to get their sore throats checked and treated.
At a sore throat clinic you can get your sore throat checked on the same day and received FREE antibiotics if you need them.
Who is this for?
- Maori and Pacific children and young people aged 4 - 19 years
- 4- 19 year olds living in areas with the highest measure of neighborhood deprivation NZ Deprivation Index Quintile5
- 3 - 35 year old household contacts (with a sore throat) of someone who has been treated for a strep throat infection.
Sore Throat Clinics
Western Heights Health Centre, 1 Brookland Rd
Phone 07 347 0565
Rotovegas Youth Health, Location 6, Te Ngae Rd (for 15-24-year-olds only)
Phone 07 343 1013
Anamata Cafe, 129 Spa Rd
Phone 07 376 0098
Pihanga Health, 28 Rangitautahanga Rd
Phone 07 384 7576
Current Rapid Response Services
- All secondary school health services across Lakes District Health Board
- Youth One Stop Shops in Taupō and Rotorua
- Primary Care (free under 18 year olds in Rotorua and Tūrangi)
- Rapids Response school clinics in Western Heights, Rotorua and surrounding schools
- Western Heights Community after hours clinics and home visiting (Rotorua)
- Rotorua and Taupō Emergency Department
- Lakes Prime Care, Rotorua
All under 13s are free but only some provide free 0 - 18 year olds free
For other information about where to get your child's sore throat checked for free:
Phone: Healthline 0800 611 116 or click here.